Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 5 January 2010

Buffy Sainte-Marie


Buffy Sainte-Marie

A living breathing icon, legend and most of all greatest singer songwriter alive

I cannot sum up what buffy-sainte marie means to me without spending the next month of my life researching every small detail of her life and reciting all my favourite lyrics of hers.
Her music has not only changed the world
Pioneered the art of the "singer/songwriter"
She was the original Patti Smith, The original Dylan.

here is buffy explaining and singing her eternal classic "Universal Soldier"
A song that breaks my heart, the most empathy filled protest song
A close spiritual relative of Joni Mitchells "Fiddle and the Drum" I think.


The reason why I decided to write about Buffy and will continue to so much on this blog
Is that I took an early morning walk to buy the papers and buffy has the been
the soundtrack to many a life changing morning and evening walk
her album "illuminations" which I will write about in detail one day soon
is a sonic cornucopia of beauty and magick
for those that love vespertine by bjork and diamanda galas
would love this album

illuminations, released in 1969 and available on itunes and of course on vinyl and cd
I recommend for pure obsessiveness to buy the vinyl copy and put in pride
of place upon your mantlepiece while listening to your download

now to the present day


while buying my milk and bread today, this song came on, loud on my headphones
the message is so powerful and inspiring

"Put Mother Nature on a luncheon plate.
They cut her up and call it real estate.
Want all the resources and all of the land.
They make a war over it: Blow things up for it"

she made her recent album "running for the drum" at the age of 67
Buffy makes me so happy and inspired that I as an individual on this planet can make a difference
even by staying positive on issues of ecology and politics
To not be afraid to be proud of my ethnicity and my folklore

Buffy long may you reign my record collection.


Buffy tours the UK in January

Sun, Jan. 24, 2010 - Basingstoke, UK The Anvil
Mon, Jan. 25, 2010 - Leamington Spa, UK, Leamington Assembly
Wed, Jan. 27, 2010 - Glasgow, UK The Fruit Market
Thu, Jan. 28, 2010 - Gateshead, UK Sage Theatre
Sat, Jan. 30, 2010- London, UK Sheperds Bush Empire

Be sure to catch this living legend live and leave the show inspired and ready to get obsessed and inspired

x BB x


No comments:

Post a Comment